Looking for where you can buy raised garden beds and outdoor planters in Singapore? Here you will find a list of the best places to get them, so you can get started on your gardening project right away. I have also included a couple of contacts who can custom make garden beds of your preferred size.
Raised garden beds and outdoor planters are a neat, aesthetic and ergonomic way to grow foliage plants, flowers and vegetables. They are often easy to assemble and maintain, making them a popular choice for gardeners of all levels of experience. So, where should you go to buy raised garden beds in Singapore? Read on for my top recommendations!
Benefits of raised garden beds
There are many benefits to using raised garden beds, including:
1. . They can allow for better drainage than traditional in-ground gardens if there is a water logging issue in your garden, therefore your plants will be less susceptible to root rot and other moisture-related problems.
2. Raised beds can be used to create a more attractive garden space by adding some height and visual interest.
3. They can be placed on any level surface, including patios or decks, making them ideal for small spaces or areas with poor soil conditions.
4. Raised beds are more ergonomic and better for your back as you will not have to bend as low.
5. If you have heavy metals in your garden soil or have reason to believe that the soil in your garden is toxic, using a raised garden bed will help circumvent this issue.
What type of raised garden bed is best for you?
Raised garden beds and outdoor planters are made from a variety of materials, so you can find one to match your budget and aesthetic. The most common materials used for raised garden beds in Singapore are wood, concrete, brick, cinder blocks and zinc-aluminium magnesium alloy.
Wooden raised garden beds are relatively inexpensive and easy to build yourself if you feel inclined to do so. If you choose to buy a pre-made wooden bed, make sure it’s made from rot-resistant lumber. Do not choose pressure treated wood as it is likely to contain toxic chemicals. If you have termites on your property like I do, opt for termite-resistant wood like chengal.
Professionally built concrete or brick raised garden beds are more expensive than wooden beds, but they’re also more durable and will last you several years. If you’re looking for a permanent solution, choosing one made of these materials might be right for you. Alternatively, you can loosely assemble bricks or cinder blocks to build an impermanent and relatively inexpensive raised garden bed. You can get these materials from Buildmate.
Raised garden beds come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so hopefully you should be able to find one that’s perfect for your space and meets your budget. If you’re ready to buy raised garden beds and outdoor planters in Singapore, here are some places to check out.
Where to buy raised garden beds and outdoor planters in Singapore
For off-the-shelf raised beds and outdoor planters, here are a few options you can look at:
1. Vegru – A local brand, Vegru raised garden beds are made of zinc-aluminium magnesium alloy (pictured above). Choose from three different heights and different sizes and colours. Due to its modular nature, it can be configured to different lengths and widths. View the collection here.
2. Vegepod – The Vegepod remains a popular brand of raised planters among the edible gardening community. The base is made of polypropolene, and comes with a netted cover. Available in three sizes, plant stands can be purchased separately. Shop the range on their website.
3. Keter Outdoor Furniture – Known as a retailer of outdoor plastic furniture, Keter’s products include the Sequoia Planter. This self watering planter measures 99cm by 58cm by 50cm, and comes in one size only. Find it on The Home Shoppe website.
4. Franoma – This company manufactures indoor and outdoor resin fibreglass products. Among its range of products is the Berkley Rectangle Planter. This measures 97cm by 47 cm by 47cm and comes in one size. Available at $339 Hipvan here. Get a $30 discount with this coupon code – OLIVIAtxek6 – when you spend a minimum of $200 and sign up for an account with HipVan.
5. Island Living – This local homewares brand stocks stylish pots and planters. In particular, the Rectangle Planter Box in Copper Green is a stand-out. Made of glassfibre reinforced concrete, this style of planter is available in black and in at least one other size (may require pre-order). Get yours here.
Where to get custom made raised beds
Alternatively you can consider getting some custom-made garden beds. If you do not already have a contractor you regularly work with, you can consider the following:
- Seed Folks – Seedfolks built my planters (pictured below) in chengal, measuring 1.5m x 0.8m x 0.3m. I selected chengal because I live in a termite prevalent neighbourhood and I prefer something long lasting. Get in touch with Seedfolks here.
- Raymond’s Alcove – Raymond is also experienced in building garden structures using wood. He can be reached at 9239 2807.
I hope you found this list on where to buy garden beds and raised planters in Singapore useful!
Main image by Greta Hoffman