If you are a keen gardener and on the lookout for inspiring vegetable gardens to visit, these are my top recommendations of edible gardens in Singapore! Here you will find an interesting variety of herbs and also tropical fruits such as passionfruit, guava, starfruit, and also edible flowers, vegetables and spices. Some of them are not open to the public but offer tours on occasion.
These gardens are located at commercial buildings which include a hotel, mall and office block, and open spaces on the premises of a restaurant, national garden and urban farm.
1. Parkroyal Collection at Marina Bay– This garden has a lovely collection of fruit trees, edible flowers, herbs and vegetables. Featuring more than 60 varieties of edible plants, this attractive chef’s garden (pictured above) is accessible via Peppermint restaurant on level 4. At the entrance, inform the staff that you are there to view the garden and they will direct you towards it.
2. 1-Arden Food Forest at CapitaSpring – Recognised as the highest urban farm in the world, the 1-Arden Food Forest stands as a remarkable chef’s garden that is truly unparalleled in Singapore. The garden features clever interplanting techniques that give the appearance that the garden looks lush despite being harvested from. Produce from the garden is used in some of the food establishments within the building. Members of the public are welcomed to visit on weekdays from 8.30am – 10.30am and 2.30pm – 6pm excluding public holidays. To access the garden, take the lift to level 51.
3. Open Farm Community – Located in Dempsey, this exceptional restaurant boasts a captivating feature — an urban farm that cultivates the produce used in their delicious dishes. Renowned for its high commitment to sustainability, this establishment proudly sources its ingredients from local providers and sustainable farms overseas. They offer regular paid tours every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month. Each ticket is $10, sign up here.
4. Funan Urban Farm – This rooftop garden features many edible plants, including cacao, papayas, bananas and a wide variety of herbs. To access Funan Urban Farm, take the lift to the 7th floor from lift lobby A, or if you feel like walking a few flights of stairs, there is a staircase beside Godmama on the 4th floor.
5. Edible Demonstration Garden – Located within Jurong Lake Gardens, this space showcases the best practices of growing edibles in Singapore and is a must-visit destination for urban growers. The Edible Demonstration Garden is situated beside Gardenhouse. To read more about it, see my blogpost here.
I hope you found this list of edible gardens in Singapore helpful! Know of any others worth visiting? Let me know in the comments section!